Saturday, March 5, 2011

ADOS

This week I got to try my hand at the ADOS - twice! I was a nice lady and invited the other intern to join me on my first day. That kid was adorable. Very happy and pretty easy going for a spectrum kid. He just needed to know the progression of the activities - lol - so I was frequently saying things like, "well, first we are going to do a puzzle, then play with some toys, look at some stories, and then we are going to talk a bit." Each step we finished I again would remind him of what was coming next. He was a perfect guine pig for me, because I know kids who are going to be more in the "autism" side rather than just spectrum are probably not going to be as easy to persuade. Second boy was interesting in that he appeared to be embarrassed for some of the activities (face washing, brushing teeth), I wasn't expecting embarrassment. Then he pretty much clammed up when we got to the emotions talk - he had never been mad, sad, happy... couldn't describe it. It really just seemed like he didn't want to. I wasn't able to get through either of the tests completely though, so I will have to finish next week.

I am feeling REALLY uncertain about the job opening at Fairfield and my ability to find work. :( I had thought I would have a pretty good chance at snagging the Fairfield job. I mean, I have done a LOT more than the other intern, and I figured it would really just be between she and I. However, I heard this week who the top six were that were getting interviews. The other intern and myself got in, of course, but so did 3 other previous interns and the star student from the opposing university. *Sigh* my confidence has been flattened.

No comments:

Post a Comment